An appointment with your doctor is essential for these reasons.
Also, before an infusion is performed, blood tests will be requested so as to determine the dosage of iron you will receive during the infusion.
Ferinject is an intravenous solution that is used in the treatment of iron deficiency conditions. Iron is an essential element required by the body for its oxygen carrying properties and it plays an important role in many other vital processes in the body. This solution is used when oral supplements and/or iron injections are ineffective or cannot be used. The aim is to replenish iron stores and to correct anaemia.
- Fasting for the procedure is not required
- Continue to take your regular medication
- You can drive home after the infusion and resume usual duties (unless there are expected reactions)
- If you are given a script, please have this filled and bring it with you to your infusion appointment (It may be worthwhile to check with your pharmacy that they stock the Ferinject)
- You will have an IV (Intravenous line) cannula injected, please wear warm clothes, that have loose arms.
- Feel free to bring along a book, iPad etc., to keep you occupied during your infusion – generally you will be at the clinic 1-2 hours.
- You will be monitored during the procedure by nurses who check: Blood pressure, temperature, pulse and breathing rates.
- As with all medications, there is a risk of side effects.